Three basins, January 24, 2017, aerial map; Basin No. 3 was decommissioned in 1989, its waters drained; Basin No. 1 was emptied in 1959, and now has a mature forest in it, while the water in Basin No. 2 was partially drained in 1999 to its current level of five feet. Courtesy of Google Maps

George Bradford Brainerd (American, 1845-1887). Ridgewood Reservoir, circa 1882-1887; Collodion silver glass wet plate negative; View of the two reservoir basins and the adjoining pond which would be transformed into the third reservoir basin in 1889. With the introduction of new upstate reservoirs in the 1950s, Ridgewood Reservoir became obsolete and was ultimately decommissioned in the 1980s. Courtesy of Brooklyn Museum, Brooklyn Museum/Brooklyn Public Library, Brooklyn Collection. 1996.164.2-717

Fence around Ridgewood Reservoir, circa 1915; Courtesy of the Museum of the City of New York

Gates of efflux chamber of Basin No. 3, 1896; Courtesy of History and Description of the Water Supply of the City of Brooklyn, Ignatius M De Varona; published by the City of Brooklyn, 1896

Keeper's house and gatehouse, Basin No. 3, postcard; Courtesy of Riccardo Gomes

Engineering drawings of the two original basins for Ridgewood Reservoir, 1867, Courtesy of The Brooklyn Water Works and Sewers, D. Van Nostrand, 1867; When completed in 1859, the Reservoir supplied the city of Brooklyn with the high quality water needed to support its burgeoning population and industry.

Elevation drawing of Keeper's House; Courtesy of The Brooklyn Waterworks and Sewers, D. Van Nostrand, 1867

Keeper's House, 1874; The Reservoir Keeper kept watch over the Reservoir and performed routine maintenance. Courtesy of George Bradford Brainerd photograph collection, Brooklyn Public Library, Brooklyn Collection

Influx chamber Basin no. 3, circa 1896; Water entered the Reservoir through the influx chamber, also known as a stilling chamber. If there was dirt or debris in the water it had a chance to settle to the bottom of this chamber while clean water could spill over into the main part of the basin. Courtesy of History and Description of the Water Supply of the City of Brooklyn, Ignatius M De Varona; published by the City of Brooklyn, 1896

Influx Chamber, Basin No. 3, from below, 2020; Courtesy of NYC H2O

Influx Chamber, Basin No. 3, 2020; Courtesy of NYC H2O

View of Brooklyn City Water Works and Cypress Hills from Ridgewood Reservoir, 1859, facsimile of original lithograph; Frederick Blümner, lithographer and Gustav Kraetzer, publisher Courtesy of Museum of the City of New York; This pastoral scene looking east toward the Atlantic Ocean shows the original two basins of the Ridgewood Reservoir from high ground. The important print is in the collections of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Museum of the City of New York, and Greater Astoria Historical Society.

Previous
Next

Programs/ Ridgewood Reservoir /RR for the 21st century / Construction 

Construction